My First Piece of Titian

 

Everyone has a story about how their collections started. 

B.105 - Giant Clam Shell Vase (My very first piece of Titian)

My Titian Studio story began when hubby and I were on holiday in Nelson. I found my Clam Shell Vase when I was having a poke around in a 'hold your breath' second hand shop. It caught my eye sitting in amongst a collection of other vases. Bending over awkwardly, so I didn't knock over a pile of stacked books with my bottom, I reached over the other vases to pick it up. Like all the other vases it was full of scratched saucers which I then had to find a space for. I carefully popped the saucers down beside me on the limited carpeted space where I'd been crouching. Finally, I was able to get a decent look at it. 

It was stunning, even under the dust I could see the colours. I wanted it! The Titian Studio Ware sticker wasn't one I'd ever seen before. I don't mind stickers on pieces but since this vase only had numbering on the base it would help me find out who made it once we got back to the motel. It looked in great condition. No chips or cracks. So, with one hand holding the vase and the other scooping up the saucers I made my way to the counter. Hubby was noisily rummaging through the old tools..


I told the old guy behind the counter I was keen on the vase. He asked if I wanted the saucers too. I said no, telling him I couldn't find a place to put them as they'd been inside the vase. He rolled his eyes. Hubby wasn't overly impressed and asked me why I needed another vase. I told him I loved it and I'd use it, knowing full well I wouldn't use and it'd be for display only. I bought it.

The shop owner wrapped it in some old newspaper and I cradled it protectively back to the car.

Back at the motel I found out my family connection to Titian Studio. (I'll cover that subject in a future blog). The numbering on the base indicates this vase was made between 1957-1969. I've since added a few more Clam Shell Vases to my collection over the years. Here's a couple more photos taken by good friend Philip Moll.




This is my first blog I've written!! I hope you like it. Feel free to comment and share your 'first' Titian piece story with me and others. 

Happy days,

Louise

©Louise de Varga 2022 - Content and pictures in this blog 

Websites I've found helpful

Val Monk's blog - New Zealand Pottery and Crown Lynn with Valerie

New Zealand Pottery website

Titian Studio Pottery New Zealand


Comments

  1. Loiuse, what a lovely story, and such beautiful photos. Thank you for all your Titian research, and I look forward to many more posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woops sorry Louise, I put a typo in your name!

      Delete
    2. Hehe, I've figured out how to reply to comments. Thank you Val for your encouraging words every time we catch up.

      Delete
  2. Well done Louise! I like the personal touch. Looking forward to more. Your photos are super and I know how hard it is to capture lustres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ev. Philip is enjoying the challenge of taking photos of Ceramics. His usual focus is native birds.

      Delete
  3. Love the colours and welcom to blogging, well done you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher. It was the pushyness of my son that started me on this new blogging adventure.

      Delete
  4. Well done Louise! I'm super impressed with your photos too, the vases look soooo luscious. Looking forward to the next instalment :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B.102 - Double Handled Footed Vase

WV.104 - Swoose Wall Vase

It's an Itsy Bitsy Spider Vase