My First Auction

Finding my first piece of Titian Studio pottery (see original blog) unearthed my hunter, gatherer instinct. I set about purchasing more of these beautifully crafted pieces.





I began scouring Trademe, eBay, op shops and antique shops. Whilst surfing the internet I came across Cordy's Auction House in Auckland. Here was an excellent opportunity to purchase a couple of new to me pieces, and begin the slippery slope of emptying my pockets for a good cause. But there was a problem! How on earth would I get over my trepidation of attending my first ever auction?

Hubby and I went along to the auction viewing day. There were lots of people looking, pondering and scribbling notes on photocopied auction catalogues. Below are some auction tips for you.

- Ask at the office for a free photocopied catalogue, which lists lot names and numbers.

- If an item is on a table, you can pick it up. It's your opportunity to check for faults. You might notice a chip or a crack which hasn't been picked up by the staff. Caveat Emptor! (Buyer Beware). 

- The same goes for box lots, but ensure you return the items into the correct box. Thoroughly check the items as you may find something may have been strategically hidden from view. I’ve recently been told of another tactic. A hair looks a lot like a hairline on ceramics. Give it a wipe with your finger to see if you can ‘move’ the crack.

- If an item is in a cabinet, ask permission from the staff as the display case may be locked. 

- Also, ask if they'd mind you taking photos. I photograph pieces I'm interested in, ensuring I include the auction tag number. I’ve found it easier to refer to my photos later, rather than relying on my memory.

- Numbered tags attached to the piece or box lot match up with the numbers in the catalogue. Look for the largest number. 


Register at the office for a bidding number, as you can’t stick your hand up willy-nilly without it, as your bid won't be accepted. To register they'll require your contact details, and for you to sign a disclaimer about bidding, and payment. This includes the buyers commission (around about 17.5% to 20% depending on the auction house) which is added to the final hammer price. Your bidding number gives you free rein to bid on anything in that particular auction. You have to register for a new bidding number before every auction you intend to bid at. 

We’ve found auction staff very helpful and there’s a reason for that. They want to make it as easy as possible for you to bid. It’s in their best interest to have you there. The team behind the counter have always been friendly and efficient. They do get busy though, especially when people are lining up to pay, and collect their new prized possession(s). So be patient.

Titian Studio Fantail Wall Vase 

On the day of the auction, we arrived early to secure good seats in the middle of a hopeful and curious crowd. Within minutes it was standing room only. I had, in my shaking hand, what I hoped would be a winning bidding number. The murmurings of anticipation quietened as the auctioneer approached the lectern. The last whisperings evaporated as he briefly covered the rules of the auction. My heart was pounding, my knees were shaking, and I tried to ignore the itch on my nose. Moments later, the hammer came down on lot number one. SOLD! Our adventure into purchasing at auction had begun. Fortunately for us, there were another 157 lots before I had a go at bidding myself.


I observed various bidding techniques including early bidding, late bidding, hands up and down like a jack-in-a-box bidding, and those who held their bidding number aloft until everyone else gave up. Some bidders called out, "bid" but I was too scared. I came up with a simple plan. Don't place the first bid, and don't wait until near the end, as the auctioneer might utter, 'fair warning', before you get your hand up. My strategy was to try and win something I actually wanted! The auctioneer picked up on even the smallest of nods from the experienced bidders. I was almost too scared to blink, let alone accidentally place a sneeze bid.

Surprisingly, my bidding ticket worked on the Fantail Wall Vase and a stunning Titian Studio Leaping Trout Jug. It has the tiniest of spouts proving it's a useless jug, but gumdrops it's a gorgeous vase.

We were on such a high. The auction process is excitingly addictive, so we were hooked. Once the account was settled, assistant Jay carefully wrapped up my new pieces, reverently placed them into a box, (with a complimentary copy of the following months catalogue) and off we went. We were shining examples of auction newbies. We hadn't brought along any bubble wrap, paper or even a cardboard box! 

Over time we got to know many of the Cordy's staff. Louie watched out for me as I walked in the door, quickly ushering me to a glass cabinet to show me my next potential purchase. We got to know Andrew Grigg the owner, and auctioneers Ross and James. Max with his happy go lucky laugh was another experienced packer. And who could miss Fenella! Her green or blue hair, she'd hold centre stage at auction time waving her feather wand on behalf of the phone bidders. Over time, I also began to recognise the faces of my bidding opponents; other collectors and dealers. It's were I met the knowledgeable Tony Richardson.

A couple of months later another bidding opportunity came up - Part 1 of the Helen Slater Collection.




Note: Lot 0101 - Titian Studio leaping trout model. The piece was incorrectly attributed to Titian Studio in Gail Henry (need Lambert)'s book; New Zealand Pottery. Commercial and Collectable. 

Hubby and I enjoyed going to Cordys, attending both the weekly and monthly auctions, regardless if there was something for us or not. Though the rooms were small, it was comfy and relaxed. It was the ‘vibe’ of the place and an outing after work on a Monday night. We’d try to get seats smack, bang in the middle of the front or second row. I’ve never understood the benefit of standing at the back of the room to see who’s bidding against me. I prefer not to know! You’re either a winner or an underbidder. Buyer’s regret is real. You'll always wonder if one more bid would have secured the piece for you. The more we went the better I was at controlling my nerves, which can’t be said for my bidding hand. One thing we have learnt is don’t bid on anything, no matter the price, if you haven't checked it first. Once you've paid for it, you'll find out why it was a ‘bargain.' Buyer’s remorse is real folks! 

Titian Studio Wahine Character Jug - from the Helen Slater Collection

The worst auction experience I've had was when the person sitting beside me wanted the same thing I REALLY wanted!!! We went head-to-head until I was crowned victorious. He was John Perry, a huge collector of all sorts! Talking with him a month or so later, he told me he particularly liked Titian Studio's Egyptian pieces.

Sadly, with Covid taking control in 2020 the weekly auctions are now held online. You can attend the monthly Antique & Art Auctions in house, but it's not the same as the majority of bidders are also online. 

Tiki Ashtray - from the Helen Slater Collection

I hope this week's blog post gives you confidence to visit your local auction house. They'd love to see you. Have you bought something at auction? What was your experience? I enjoy reading your comments on my posts and you're welcome to follow me on this journey of sharing my love Titian. 

Happy days,

Louise 

©Louise de Varga 2022 - Content and pictures in this blog 

Special thanks to Andrew, the owner of Cordys, for allowing me to use the images from two major auction catalogues, both of which I attended. I was fortunate enough to have had the winning bidding number on a few items.

Cordy's Website        Cordy's Facebook page         Cordys - The Ngaire Hart Estate Collection


Art+Object - Jim Drummond Collection.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B.102 - Double Handled Footed Vase

WV.104 - Swoose Wall Vase

It's an Itsy Bitsy Spider Vase