The Journey of the Titian Studio book photographs

The Titian Studio book photographs.

Burgundy Grapes glaze - V.110, B.106, PB.104, PV.109.

Finally, I can confirm all the available Sherwood Pottery, Titian Studio, Orzel and Aquila pieces have been photographed for my book. Wayfarer Photography have taken over 400 images showing roughly 600 pieces which are now with my graphic designer to slot into my completed manuscript. It's been a huge undertaking to get to this point and I'm thrilled, but also relieved to be here.

The journey began back in March 2023 when Danny and I collected a huge number of pieces from various collectors, including a car load from one collector who lives in the Waikato. 


It was a huge responsibility to care for so many treasured pieces from over twenty collectors, with some kindly sending pieces to me, at no cost, from all over New Zealand. The pieces were removed from the boxes, cleaned and laid out onto tables in our lounge, dining room and kitchen for easy access, before being photographed and then put back away so more pieces could be made ready. It was three full on days. We were shattered.

 

After four months of waiting, I received less than half the images back. They were beyond disappointing. I couldn't use a single image as they were substandard and didn't reflect the true beauty of the shapes, colours or glazes. Unfortunately, the Small Claims Court judge said because the photographs were being used in a small print run, I should just accept them as they are. I wasn't happy with the look of them so how could I expect collectors purchasing my books to be happy with them. This photographing debacle cost us $6,000 and we had nothing to show for our hard work. All the pieces had by then been delivered back to the collectors. I took some time out to be discouraged and to mope. 

Dad (Ron Alexander) at home with us.

In May 2023 my Dad moved into our home. I quit my job to become his full-time caregiver. He'd known the Brown family and grew up in Waitakere so read my stories to him. He loved them and said I had, 'stickability' and he looked forward to seeing my book finished. Sadly Dad passed away five weeks later.

Kris Brown, a keen Titian Studio collector and grandson of Cameron Snr and Dorothy Brown told me about John and Melody of Wayfarer Photography. We went out to meet them at their home and studio, in Oratia. We hit it off immediately. The sample pieces we'd taken over to them were photographed and came out exactly as I'd hoped. I was thrilled to have people who cared about their work ensuring the photographs honestly reflected the reality of their beauty. The next stage was borrowing all the pieces again, and pre-selling my book to raise funds. Three collectors fully paid for their own photos and offered extra to help with the photographing costs. They made starting all over again a bit easier.

Purple Crackle Lustre

There were a lot more pieces to be photographed this time because I'd had an excuse to purchase pieces that were 'missing' from the book. Yes, I have a very supportive husband! Around we went again collecting Sherwood and Titian pieces. Fortunately, the collector's out of Auckland were all happy to share their pieces again.



  
Mexicala Lamp, Aquila Galleon Wall Plate, Lascaux Caves Vase


Many of the pieces I'd collected were purely to ensure the shapes or stickers were included in the book. With the photos finished I decided to sell some of my pieces to raise some much-needed funds. I managed to secure two tables at the Crown Lynn Collector's Market on the 4th May. With Danny by my side, we set up the tables until they were full. I was nervous but also excited to chat with other collectors. Next to my stand was Val Monk who wrote the book Crown Lynn - A New Zealand Icon, and the Crown Lynn Handbook. She has her own informative blog about New Zealand ceramics. Val has mentored me throughout my book journey. By the end, of the day we'd sold the majority of my pieces.


Crown Lynn Collector's Market - 4th May 2024

I'd mocked up a book with a few samples of the high-resolution photographs and put it on display, on my stand, for visitors to look at. I could have sold it many times over. Maybe I should look at making a Titian Studio calendar for next year. The highlight for me was meeting collectors and chatting about Titian of course! I took four pre-orders for my book with one collector paying up front which was gratefully received.





The expectation from my publisher is that the book will be available in November. For those who have paid in advance for their copy, thank you for supporting me. My dream has always been to give Cameron Snr and Dorothy Brown recognition for the artistry of pieces and glazes that their pottery deserves.  Before Christmas I'll be having a one off open day at our home for pre-paid purchasers to pick up their books and have them signed my moi. While they're here they'll have the opportunity to look at my Sherwood Pottery, Titian Studio, Orzel and Aquila treasures. I'm taking pre-orders for my book and can issue receipts to those collectors who want to ensure they'll receive one of the 350 hardcover copies.

Happy days,
Louise 


Please private message through my facebook page or email me: devargafamily@outlook.com if you'd like to pre-order or pre-pay for this full colour glossy paged, hardcover. Due to mounting costs the price of this independently published book is $165.



©Louise de Varga 2022 - Content and pictures in this blog 




  






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B.102 - Double Handled Footed Vase

WV.104 - Swoose Wall Vase