Gallery of Glazes - Stardust (UPDATED with new glaze photos)

 'When rainbows turn rain into gold.'


Black Stardust

I’m not a potter, so can confess I know zilch about the wonders of creating, using and firing glazes, however, I'm super passionate about Titian Studio's decorative glazes.


PB.104 - Black Stardust

The stardust pattern shows as tiny gold spots and fine dribbles over a dark underglaze, then finished in clear glaze. The child in me feels it's reminiscent of a vase sitting outside, just as a rainbow passes overhead, turning rain spots into pure gold. 

B.102 - Black Stardust

Ceramic decorator Mary Baillie had been enticed to come out from England to work for Tom Clarke at Crown Lynn. She brought her mother out with her. After many years with Crown Lynn, she moved to Titian Studio in 1963 at Henderson. Mary brought with her the decorating techniques she’d learnt at Royal Doulton, such as lustres and golds. At Titian she was in charge of gold application, hand decoration and the applying of transfers. Cam Jnr tells me she was a highly valued member of the Titian team. The stardust gold is either 18ct or 24ct gold. 

CORRECTIONCameron Brown created the stardust glaze. Mary Baillie was a traditional gold artist which she used in her ceramic painting and decorating. She did not work with, or invent any glazes. 

B.106 - Black Stardust

Many black vases in the Titian Studio range are pink on the inside including, stardust, crackle, lace and the gold grape decal vases. Cameron Brown felt the pink contrasted elegantly against the black. The original slip had a pink stain added.

TNB.300 - Black Stardust

PV.109 - Black Stardust

As you can see in the above photo of the ruffled vase, this glaze is particularly difficult to capture without reflections. I think Philip did an amazing job with these examples. 

PV.112 - Black Stardust

I'm aware of five different stardust colours - black, cobalt, green, red and yellow.  Cam jnr tells me the cobalt stardust was as popular as the black, which surprises me as up until this week I didn't even know there was a blue version. Hopefully my blog will flush out some pieces for us to admire.

 
Yellow Stardust (Hubble Bubble Lampbase) - Nicky Bee

Green Stardust (Hubble Bubble Lampbase)

Red Stardust (Lampbase) 



Thanks for having a look at my blog. Feel free to comment and let me know what you'd like me to post about in future posts. I'd love to know your thoughts.
Happy days,
Louise

I've written a couple of other Gallery of Glazes you may like to look at Crackle Lustre & Aerograph

HELP NEEDED:
Have you got a piece in another of the stardust glazes? I would love to see them. Feel free to get in touch or post them online the Titian Studio NZ, Sherwood, Aquila and Orzel facebook page. 

Green Stardust Lamp

Happy days,
Louise

©Louise de Varga 2022 - Content and pictures in this blog 

Comments

  1. I do hope you will do more posts on Titian glazes, Louise. They were outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Val. Yes, I'll keep popping glaze posts into my blog periodically. There's a lot of lovely glazes for me to show.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B.102 - Double Handled Footed Vase

WV.104 - Swoose Wall Vase

It's an Itsy Bitsy Spider Vase