The Manos Sourris Collection

A Christmas Collection at Webb's Auction House

Santa on the corner of Wellesley and Queen Streets - 2017

I generally get the Christmas spirit before anyone else in my family. This year it unexpectedly arrived one morning in late November. I'm totally into Christmas. It's the only time of year when people get into the festive spirit of decorating. I've put up my tree, smothered it with decorations, set up the lights inside and out, as well as untangled the balls of tinsel here, there and everywhere. I enjoy our night time walks, especially at this time of year with neigbhourhood displays of illuminated twinkling Christmas trees and fences dripping with icicle solar lights.

 
Louise's 2022 Christmas Tree

I've collected a number of gorgeous Titian Studio, Sherwood Pottery and Aquila/Orzel pieces over the past year. My latest pieces were from the collection of Manos Sourris. He was an enthusiastic collector whose wealth of knowledge of New Zealand studio pottery and ceramics, is greatly missed. Sadly, he passed away on the 23rd July 2022. His collection was offered by Webb's Auctions this December. My hope is that his family know his pieces are nestled into new homes, and will be treasured not only for what they are, but also the providence of once being part of Manos' amazing collection.

Manos Sourris showing me his collection in 2018.

My secret is out. Yes, I did buy more than one item at the auction. But what an opportunity!! Danny and I went along on the first viewing day. Everything was laid out nicely with, 'The Manos Sourris Collection' written across the wall above his pieces. Manos would have been chuffed.

Below are the pieces I purchased to add to my collection. I'm honoured and humbled to have met Manos on a number of occasions and to have the opportunity to buy them from such a well-regarded collector. 



1956 New Zealand v South Africa Rugby Tankard (Sporting Stein No.2)

Why did I buy this rugby tankard? My other tankard has the Waikato and Auckland colourways, whereas this one, is the All Blacks versus urmmm.. the blue shirts. (I'll have to find out which team they are.) The other reason is because of the base, alongside the Titian Studio embossed palette is written, 'Sporting Stein No.2'. I've not seen that before and feel it's rather special because of it. Click here to read the full blog post about this tankard and the later Iconic 1956 Rugby Boot.

PJ.100 Jug - Lemon Lace glaze

The PJ.100 is a big well designed water jug with a thumb rest on top of the handle. Chips, crazing and cracks usually put me off buying a piece unless there's something rather special about the piece. At the viewing I saw the jug had substantial dirty crazing inside, and a hairline at the base of the handle. So... why did I bid on it? Three reasons. I love the shape, I've never seen another one for sale, and it's in the  lemon lace glaze. I told hubby it was a research piece, before quickly turning away so I didn't see his eyes roll. Click here to read my blog, J is for Jugs (Just Not Plain or Ordinary Jugs!)

Fish Wall Vase Toothbrush Holder (missing the three bubbles)

One thing is for sure. Though it will be hung on the bathroom wall, it won't be used for our family's collective toothbrushes!! I don't want to be the person responsible for getting it off the wall and regularly cleaning out the inside. Eewww! The fish wall vases were glazed in bright colours before being finished in a clear coat. They were sold in the early to mid 1950s and included three graduating bubbles in matching glaze. After 60 years it's pretty hard to find the full set. Bisk fired moulds of the fish wall vase were also sold to Royal Oak Pottery who painted them before on selling. Because the Royal Oak versions aren't glazed, the colours do tend to flake off due to age. 

PV.113 Limoge inspired decoration on a purple crackle lustre

I was chatting with another collector the other day. He wanted to know how I got on at the auction. He told me that in all his 40 years of collecting Titian Studio and Sherwood Pottery, Manos' Limoge example was the only one he'd ever seen. It's a special piece in many ways. I bought it because Titian's head decorator, Mary Baillie would have hand painted all the gold on this decorative vase. For more information and pictures click here for Gallery of Glazes - Crackle Lustre

S.102 Souvenir 'Mere' with Kiwi transfer.

From the early 1960s Titian Studio produced a range of transfers for their own products. Other Titian Studio and Orzel transfers included, stylised Maori images and beer labels. Click here to read my blog, The Art of Transfers

'DAD' Barrel Mug with Ashtray Lid

I thought of my 91 year old Dad when I saw this mug. He's never smoked but it would be a great size for a decent sized tipple of Baileys Irish Cream to finish off the day. 

PV.111 Carafe/Vase - Lascaux Caves decoration on a stonehenge glaze

The only other pieces I have with the Lascaux Caves decoration is two pairs of cups and saucers. Titian produced so many amazing glazes which I'm working my way through in my posts - woodgrain, marble, ruby lustre and feather to name a few. Check out these two links for Gallery of Glazes Stardust, and Aerograph

New Zealand Souvenir Plate

Who'd think to put an image of a hydro-power station on a Souvenir plate? Click here to read my 'S' is for Souvenirs blog which gives an insight into what the public were buying in the 1950s and 60s.

My wish is you'll have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends, the weather will pick up, and the traffic will die down. May your Christmas be cheery and bright. I'm off. It's time to sit back and enjoy the Polar Express for the .... time.

Happy holidays,
Louise

This post is dedicated to Emmanouil (Manos) Kostantinos Sourris - 11th June 1949 - 23rd July 2022 
The meaning of Manos: Manos in the Greek origin, means God is with us. Name Manos is a Boy's name. 

©Louise de Varga 2022 - Content and pictures in this blog 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B.102 - Double Handled Footed Vase

WV.104 - Swoose Wall Vase

It's an Itsy Bitsy Spider Vase